Monday, October 4th 2021, 9am-3pm PDT, vitual via Zoom
Instructors: J Ramon Arrowsmith & Chelsea Scott, Arizona State University ; Christopher Crosby, UNAVCO
Endorsed by: OpenTopography, UNAVCO
Structure from Motion (SfM), a photogrammetric technique that uses overlapping images to construct 3D surface models, is quickly emerging as a valuable research and education tool in geodesy, geomorphology, structural geology, and related disciplines. Images can be collected with a standard consumer-grade camera, making SfM a low-cost tool that complements other 3D imaging technologies, such as terrestrial and airborne laser scanning (lidar). SfM can be collected from a handheld camera or an airborne platform such as an aircraft, tethered balloon, kite, or UAS (unmanned aerial system), enabling 3D imaging of features ranging in size from decimeters to several kilometers. This one-day course will provide faculty, students, and professionals with an introduction to SfM technology, data collection and processing, and examples of science and educational applications. A combination of lectures and hands-on demonstrations of SfM equipment and data processing will be used.
- Agisoft Metashape Professional 1.7.4: Proprietary SfM software available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. A license will not be necessary for the course as we will use Metashape in demo mode, but please have the software installed on your machine before the short course begins.
Optional Software (will be demo'd but not required for hands-on activities):
- CloudCompare 2.11.x Anoia: Open source point cloud software available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Please have the software installed on your machine before the short course begins. If you happen to have an older computer you may need to install a previous version of CloudCompare available under "Older stuff" on the downloads page.
- Virtual Outcrop Geology Group LIME
- Stereonet 11
YOUTUBE PLAYLIST OF RECORDED PRESENTATIONS direct links to videos via the logos below.
Other sample Datasets & Resources:
- Georeferencing in Metashape: Tutorial & Mafala Bolo, Ethiopia sample data
- GETSI curriculum: Analyzing High Resolution Topography with TLS and SfM
- Topographic differencing: Measuring change at Earth’s surface: On-demand vertical and three-dimensional topographic differencing implemented in OpenTopography & OpenTopography topographic differencing resources
- CloudCompare tutorial playlist by James Dietrich