Venue: 5th Biennal Structural Geology and Tectonics Forum, January 4-7, 2018, Arizona State University
Instructors: Christopher Crosby (UNAVCO) & Ramon Arrowsmith (Arizona State Univ.)
Supported by: UNAVCO & OpenTopography
Abstract: Structure from Motion (SfM), a photogrammetric technique that uses overlapping images to construct 3D surface models, is quickly emerging as a valuable research and education tool in geodesy, geomorphology, structural geology, and related disciplines. Images can be collected with a standard consumer-grade camera, making SfM a low-cost tool that compliments other 3D imaging technologies, such as terrestrial and airborne laser scanning (lidar). SfM can be collected from a hand-held camera or an airborne platform such as an aircraft, tethered balloon, kite, or UAS (unmanned aerial system), enabling 3D imaging of features ranging in size from decimeters to several kilometers.
Software: Agisoft PhotoScan (commercial software, demo/trial version will be used in the course)
1 PM Introduction to SfM and science applications (Ramon)
2 PM El Mayor Cucapah earthquake demo activity and discussion (Chris & Ramon)
2:30 PM Break
3:00 PM Overview of SfM data acquisition concepts & platforms
3:30 PM Run models and prepare very brief presentations
4:30 PM Sum up and presentations from group
- Considerations for building SfM processing machines
- Structure from Motion from video
- prompt 3D mapping of the earthquake-triggered lansdlide in Minami-Aso, Kumamoto, Japan
- GETSI Analyzing High Resolution Topography with TLS and SfM module. Specifically, Unit 1-SfM: Introduction to SfM.
- Sketchfab - browser-based environment for 3D model sharing and visualization.
- UNAVCO Agisoft Photoscan guide
- http://www.vrgeoscience.com/ - "Virtual Reality Geological Studio (VRGS) is a 3D data visualisation and interpretation software tool for field based geology and geophysics, as well as for geoscientists working with 3D digital outcrop models (DOM)"
- Compass plugin for CloudCompare - "Compass is a structural geology toolbox for the interpretation and analysis of virtual outcrop models."