Venue: GSA Joint Sectional Meeting: Rocky Mountain and Cordilleran, Flagstaff, AZ. May 14th, 2018
Instructors: Arthur Sylvester, Chelsea Scott, Nicolas Barth, Marc Mayes
Prospective UAV Users for Geologic Purposes: Brief presentation of examples of what people are doing with drones in geology. An overview of what products are available, FAA regulations, and a flight demonstration.
UAV Geologic Applications: This will be a “hands on” laboratory by 3–4 people demonstrating use of software applications for map making, photogrammetry, sampling, lidar.
Please plan to download and install the following software packages before you arrive.
Agisoft PhotoScan: Commercial structure from motion photogrammetry software, demo/trial version will be used in the course. Installers for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux available.
8:30am - 8:40am -- Introductions
8:40am - 9:00am -- Broad Research Applications (Barth & Mayes)
How to Get Airborne:
9:00am - 9:30am -- Types of UAS, History, Regulations (FAA, Public Lands, Permitting, Insurance) (Sylvester)
9:30am - 10:00am -- Part 107 License Knowledge + hands-on examples, FAA Airspace (Mayes - hands on map-based exercise)
10:00am - 10:10am -- Break
10:10am - 10:40am -- Overseas, Apps & Online Resources (Barth)
Summary: Best Practice & Safety Considerations (Sylvester)
10:45am - 1:30 pm -- UAS demonstrations at Iris Tank (Barth)
UAV Geologic Applications:
1:30pm - 1:50pm -- Science Motivations for high-res surface data (Scott)
1:50pm - 2:10pm -- SfM background (Scott)
2:10pm - 2:40pm -- AgiSoft PhotoScan Demo
2:40pm - 3:00pm -- Cloud Compare Demonstration (Scott)
3:00pm - 3:10pm -- Break
3:10pm - 3:25pm -- SfM Results & Discussion (Scott)
3:25pm - 3:40pm -- OpenTopography (Scott)
3:40pm - 4:00pm -- Pedagogy Examples / Field & Lab Logistics (Barth)
3:50pm - 4:00pm -- Extensions: digital mapping, 3D printing, augmented reality, structural analysis (Barth)
4:00pm - 4:30pm -- Open Discussion or small group breakout
4:30pm -- Closing Remarks --> migrate to a watering hole or optional group dinner
- Considerations for building SfM processing machines
- Structure from Motion from video
- prompt 3D mapping of the earthquake-triggered lansdlide in Minami-Aso, Kumamoto, Japan
- GETSI Analyzing High Resolution Topography with TLS and SfM module. Specifically, Unit 1-SfM: Introduction to SfM.
- Sketchfab - browser-based environment for 3D model sharing and visualization.
- UNAVCO Agisoft Photoscan guide
- http://www.vrgeoscience.com/ - "Virtual Reality Geological Studio (VRGS) is a 3D data visualisation and interpretation software tool for field based geology and geophysics, as well as for geoscientists working with 3D digital outcrop models (DOM)"
- Compass plugin for CloudCompare - "Compass is a structural geology toolbox for the interpretation and analysis of virtual outcrop models."