We are pleased to announce the availability of new GeoEarthScope airborne LiDAR data products from the Intermountain Seismic Belt (ISB) project! This release includes high resolution LiDAR topography data collected in tectonically active regions of Utah and Wyoming, including Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and the Nephi segment (southern strand) of the Wasatch fault. These LiDAR data can be explored and downloaded in several ways:
1. Google Earth. The easiest way to explore this dataset, users can view unfiltered (with vegetation) and filtered ("bare earth") hillshade images within Google Earth from two different illumination angles. The hillshade KMZ file is available for downloaded at http://opentopography.org/kml.
2. GIS. For more advanced applications, filtered ("bare earth," fg*) and unfiltered (ug*) 0.5 m resolution digital elevation models in Arc Binary grid format are also available for download as 1 km2 tiles. Users can browse and download available tiles via an interactive map available at http://opentopography.org/dems.
Additional ISB LiDAR data products will become available in the coming months, including coverage of the northern strand of the Nephi Segment of the Wasatch Fault, as well as point cloud access and custom DEM generation capability for all ISB coverage using GEON developed cyberinfrastructure. A metadata document for this project is also currently in preparation.
We would like to thank the National Park Service, with special thanks to the Geology, GIS and fire cache personnel at Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks, for their support and collaboration.
David Phillips and the GeoEarthScope LiDAR team
Primary funding agency
- National Science Foundation
Data acquisition, processing and distribution
- National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM): LiDAR data
collection and processing
- Ohio State University (OSU): GPS data collection and processing
- Arizona State University (ASU): data distribution and analysis tools
- San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC): data distribution and analysis tools